Academic Bankruptcy

You may remove one or two semesters of credit hours from your undergraduate degree consideration by applying to the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South after completing either 15 simultaneous or sequential semester hours with at least a 3.0 grade point average (GPA) or 30 hours with at least a 2.5 GPA at UNL, following the semester or semesters you wish to remove but before receiving a baccalaureate degree from UNL.

Courses taken at UNO, UNK, or UNMC may be used in the qualifying GPA calculation, but you must be a degree seeking student at UNL to qualify for academic bankruptcy. In order to exercise this option, you must:

  1. Discuss the desire to bankrupt a semester with your academic advisor.
  2. If you qualify, complete an "Academic Bankruptcy Form" at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South, and ask your advisor to sign the form.
  3. The Office of the University Registrar may request an interview before authorizing the bankrupting of a semester.

In order to declare a semester bankrupt, certain conditions must be understood:

  1. All courses taken during the semester are bankrupt. This includes credit hours and grades.
  2. The bankrupt semester is removed from consideration for GPA purposes and the bankrupt credit is not used for degree requirements. The semester listing of courses and grades remain evident on your academic record, but are marked "Academic Bankruptcy". The academic record is used to issue official transcripts.
  3. Since "P" and "N" grades do not have specific numerical equivalents, they may not be used to meet bankruptcy requirements.
  4. The request for bankruptcy must be submitted prior to receiving a baccalaureate degree from UNL.
  5. Academic bankruptcy does not forgive attempted credit hours in the satisfactory academic progress calculations for financial aid recipients.
  6. A student seeking bankruptcy must be enrolled in a baccalaureate degree program at UNL at the time of application. Academic bankruptcy applies to baccalaureate degree programs only.