Education Benefits

Where to Start

  1. Apply to the University per Admissions instructions and submit copies of your DD form 214 (discharge from active duty) and transcripts/certificates for all military schooling or training.
  2. Complete an "Application for Education Benefits" (VONAPP) at as soon as you are admitted to the University.
  3. In order to receive monthly benefits, you must enroll in classes and report your UNL enrollment to the VA Clerk, 107 Canfield Administration Building South, prior to each semester and/or summer session you desire to receive benefits. The VA Clerk will not assume that you want to receive benefits for any given term. To prevent any delays in monthly payments, keep the VA Clerk informed of your enrollment status throughout the semester and/or summer sessions you are attending.

Don't forget: Report your UNL registration by completing the VA Certification Information form with the VA Clerk, 16 Nebraska Union, prior to each term or summer session you desire to receive benefits.


New Transfer Students

If you are a veteran who previously received benefits at another institution, you must complete a "Request for Change of Place of Training" (VA Form 22-1995) and return it to the VA Clerk, 16 Nebraska Union. Copies of your DD form 214 (discharge from active duty) and transcripts/certificates for all military schooling or training should be submitted to the Office of Admissions, 1410 Q Street.


Military Credit

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln does grant collegiate credit for certain military experiences. In order to determine what academic credit may be granted, submit your DD form 214 (discharge from active duty) and transcripts or certificates for all military schooling or training to the Office of Admissions, 1410 Q Street.

We request that you submit this material with your application or as soon as possible within the first term of enrollment so that proper credit may be awarded.

NOTE: If this evaluation is not done in your first term at UNL, the VA office may terminate your benefits back to the beginning of your enrollment.


WAVE Notice For Chapter 30, 1606 and 1607 Veterans

Once you have been certified by the school VA Clerk and your certification has been processed by the VA, you need to do a monthly verification to the VA at the end of each month of enrollment.

All end of the month, Verification may be verified in one of two ways:

  1. At the end of each month of enrollment, call 1-877-823-2378 on a touch-tone phone
  2. Follow this link to verify your enrollment through the VA Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) program.

Both options are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  You do not have to use the same method each month, but you must verify enrollment each month. Students can verify their enrollment as early as the last day of each month, and if there has been no change in your enrollment status, payment should be received in about 5-7 working days after verification.


VA Tutor

VA tutorial assistance is available if you’re receiving VA educational benefits at the half-time or higher rate and have a deficiency in a subject that makes tutoring  necessary. You can be reimbursed by the VA up to $100 per month, up to a maximum of $1200 in a year.

To apply for tutorial assistance you must complete VA Form 22-1990t. Your school certifying official and tutor must sign the form.  When the form is complete, turn it into your School VA Clerk, who will mail it to the VA Regional Processing Office that serves the state in which your school is located.


Criminal Justice Students

Criminal Justice is a UNO program for which students can register in their course study and enrollment of classes at UNL. The UNL students will register for and complete their degree requirements at UNL. For UNL certification of Criminal Justice enrollment contact the UNL VA Clerk.


Alternative Teacher Certification

An alternative teacher program is one designed for an individual who has a bachelor's degree, but does not have enough education credits to obtain a teacher's certificate. The alternative teaching program permits this individual to obtain this certificate without reenrolling and pursuing another bachelor 's degree.

For Selected Reserves claimants, only those with a six year commitment after September 30, 1990, may receive benefits while enrolled in an alternative teacher certification program. Dependents (Chapter 35) are not eligible to pursue this program.

Veterans wanting to participate in the alternative teaching program must visit the College of Education and Human Sciences Student Services Center, 105 Henzlik Hall, 472-8624, to determine the hours needed to receive a teaching certificate. For UNL certification contact the UNL VA Clerk.  

Back to top