Student Resources

Undergraduate Advisor Information

Students will usually be assigned a faculty advisor through your college dean or your major/degree program unit administrator. Exploratory and Pre-Professional students will be advised through the Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center, 127 Love Library South. If you are an undergraduate, your advisor's name appears on the Academics box towards the bottom of your MyRED Student Portal. If no advisor has been assigned, please contact your college dean's office, or your college's advising office.

Periods during which advisors have the most demands on their time include the week before the start of Priority Registration, the first two weeks of Priority Registration, the week prior to classes, and the first week of classes. Therefore, you are urged to see your advisor or change your college or major during lower demand periods so that you will have a shorter wait or have easier access to an appointment with an advisor.


All students in the College can meet with professional advisors in the Arts and Sciences Academic and Career Advising Center, 107 Oldfather Hall for assistance with choosing or changing majors and minors, understanding degree requirements and audits, completing paperwork, adding/dropping courses, and planning for graduation.  Students in the College who have declared a major will also be assigned a departmental advisor in their major field of study.  If you have questions about a particular major or minor field of study, contact the major advisor.  A complete list of major advisors is available online or at the Advising Center.


All students in the College can meet with professional advisors in the Engineering Student Services Center, W204 Nebraska Hall, for assistance with choosing or changing majors and minors, understanding degree requirements and audits, completing paperwork, adding/dropping courses, and planning for graduation. Students in the College who have earned professional admission to their degree program will also be assigned a major advisor in their major field of study. 


Discrimination and Harassment

It is the policy of the University of Nebraska to administer all of its educational programs and related supporting services in a manner which does not discriminate based upon age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran's status, marital status, religion or political affiliation.  

Any unwanted conduct of a sexual nature, whether verbal, physical, written, or pictorial, which has the purpose or effect of creating a hostile environment for the person subjected to the conduct, or any solicitation of sexual conduct of any nature when submission to or rejection of such contact is used as the basis for either implicitly or explicitly imposing favorable or adverse terms and conditions of academic standing constitutes sexual harassment and will not be condoned or tolerated. Moreover, sexual misconduct including stalking, dating or domestic violence and sexual assault is prohibited. 

Appropriate corrective action will be taken toward any student or employee who is found to have violated UNL's non-discrimination, sexual harassment and/or sexual misconduct policies. Further, UNL commits itself toward the assurance of non-retaliation toward any person who reports harassment, sexual misconduct or discrimination or who participates in an investigation of such conduct.

If you suspect or experience discrimination, sexual harassment, or retaliation toward yourself or others, please keep records or other evidence of specifics and report the conduct.

If you do not feel comfortable telling a person to stop inappropriate behavior, or if the behavior does not cease once you have made the request that it do so, you may seek assistance from an administrator, professor or counselor. Persons designated by the University as Responsible Employees are required to report sexual discrimination, harassment and misconduct reported to them. Other employees are encouraged to provide assistance and/or report.

You may also contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance, 128 Canfield Administration Building North, (402) 472-3417, or the Director of the Office for Civil Rights, Department of Education, Washington, D.C. 20202.

More information regarding discrimination, harassment, available reporting, and resource options is posted on most bulletin boards in buildings throughout the UNL campus and on the University’s Title IX webpage.


Health Insurance Program

All students registered for classes at UNL have access to the University Health Center. The University encourages students to maintain adequate health insurance coverage throughout their enrollment at UNL.   

Students who pay the UHC portion of the UPFF fee assessment, otherwise known as student fees, receive additional benefits for no additional charge. These include five medical clinic visits (not procedures, physicals or lab) per academic year and four Counseling and Psychological Services visits during their academic lifetime.Visit for a complete list of services covered by UPFF. 

Students registered for seven or more credit hours are automatically assessed the fee. Part-time students may pay the fee  prior to using the services for the first time.

UHC teamed up with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska to offer an insurance plan for UNL students: StudentBlue. This plan includes health, prescription and dental insurance.

Graduate research and teaching assistants may be eligible to have a portion of the StudentBlue premium paid on their behalf as a benefit of eligible assistant employment. Questions should be directed to the department that employs the graduate assistant.

International students registered for classes at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln are required to have health insurance and will be billed for coverage under the University’s StudentBlue health insurance plan for each semester of enrollment.

Because StudentBlue insurance requires students to have access to the University Health Center, all international students who are enrolled in fewer than seven credit hours will also be assessed the UHC portion of the UPFF fee to maintain this access.

International students may obtain a waiver from purchasing StudentBlue health insurance if they have proof of equivalent insurance benefits under another plan. International students, see UHC for policy information about health insurance premiums.

Waiver information for international and graduate assistant students and information about health insurance premiums are available on UHC’s website: For questions about StudentBlue, contact UHC at 402.472.7435 or


Scholarships and Financial Aid

Inter-campus and Joint Registration (Financial Aid). Students who will be jointly registered at the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK) and UNL or the University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) and UNL, will be funded for financial aid by the institution at which they are originally enrolled and are pursuing a degree.

If the student is admitted to UNL but takes courses at other campuses, check with financial aid for what financial aid is awarded at UNL.

This applies to students enrolled in Engineering, Social Work, Criminal Justice, Public Administration and other majors offered jointly at UNL and UNO.

Students considering inter-campus enrollment who have federal financial aid should check with the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, 17 Canfield Administration Building South, (402) 472-2030, prior to enrolling.

Satisfactory Progress for Financial Aid. In order to receive financial assistance, you must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an eligible program and attend on at least a half-time basis.

Satisfactory progress for the purpose of receiving financial assistance is defined on the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid web site. It is your responsibility to understand the University's policy regarding satisfactory academic progress for financial aid recipients.

If, after the last day to add classes (census date) in each term, you decide to drop a course or courses and/or withdraw from the University, it is highly recommended that you contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, 17 Canfield Administration Building South, (402) 472-2030, before you act to discuss the possible need for repayment of federal aid and your eligibility for subsequent aid in future semesters. For application materials visit the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office.


Senior Learning Passport Program

The Senior Learning Passport Program is available to individuals who are at least 65 years of age. Senior learners may attend and "sit-in" on undergraduate courses (courses numbered 100 - 499) on a space available basis and with the instructor's permission.

The Learning Passport may be used for up to two classes per semester and is valid for one year from the date of the non-refundable $25 fee payment. For more information, contact the office of the Bursar's Office, 121 Canfield Administration Building North, P.O. Box 880412, Lincoln, NE 68588-0412, (402) 472-1734.


Visiting Students

If you are a visiting student, you must apply for admission each term. Any student denied admission as a degree-seeking student is not eligible to apply for admission as a visiting student. Registration is limited to 6 hours per semester. The Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising Center, 127 Love Library South, serves as the college dean's office for visiting students and intercampus students. Visiting students are ineligible to receive federal financial assistance.


Non-Degree, Visiting Graduate Student

Admission is available to applicants who are actively pursuing graduate studies at U.S. institutions other than the University of Nebraska campuses, and requires submission of an application, application fee, and letter of good standing from the home institution.

Enrollment is limited to two consecutive terms (semesters and/or full summer enrollment).

Back to top