Student Information

Directory Information

The University of Nebraska defines the following student information as public directory information:

Student name, local address, permanent address, telephone listings, year at the University (Fr, So, Jr, Sr, etc.), dates of attendance, academic college and major field of study, enrollment status, (e.g. undergraduate or graduate; full-time or part-time), participation in officially recognized activities and sports, degrees, honors and awards received and most recent educational agency or institution attended.

Directory information will be available to the public upon request and may be included in student directories published electronically. However, students have the right to have directory information withheld from the public, if they so desire.

You can change your privacy (FERPA) option online through MyRED or by contacting the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South, (402) 472-3635. This directory information restriction is good until you notify the University to remove it, or until your graduation. Directory information already included in hard copy publications will be removed at the next printing of the hard copy publication.


Address Changes

You are responsible for notifying the University of any address change. Please process address changes promptly to keep your University record current and to insure that you receive University mailings.

You can update your personal information such as addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses at any time using MyRED, or in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South during regular business hours.

Current/Local addresses will be used as the mailing address for students during the semester in progress. Permanent addresses will be used when classes are not in session. A photo ID and signature are required to process a change of address at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Administration Building South.

All students are required to register an e-mail address with the University. This e-mail address must be kept current and may be updated through MyRED.

Normally we will use the personal e-mail address you specify, but if you designate a different e-mail address type as preferred, that is the one we will use. A photo ID is required to process an e-mail address change in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South.


Preferred Name

Students are required to provide their full legal name at the time of admission. However, they should be able to indicate how they would like to be addressed within the campus community regardless of their legal name.  Therefore, as long as the use of an individual’s “preferred name” is not for the purposes of misrepresentation or falsification, it will be accommodated for campus use and documents except where the use of the individual’s legal name is required for university business or legal need. The legal name will still be required and used for all official, external communication.

Students will be able to designate a preferred name within MyRED. No legal documentation is required to make a change to the first and/or middle name used as a preferred name.

Preferred Name will appear:

  • Rosters (class, correction, grade)
  • Blackboard

Legal Name will appear:

  • Official/unofficial transcripts
  • Student Clearinghouse
  • 1098T documentation
  • Scholarships/Financial Aid Processing
  • Student Consolidated Bills


Name Change

To change your name or correct the spelling of your name on your academic records, submit legal documentation to the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South. Legal documentation may include Certificate of Marriage, Court Order or Decree, Notarized Statement, Driver’s License, Passport/Visa, or any other official government document.


Gender Changes

To change your sex, submit legal documentation to the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South. Legal documentation may include a Nebraska Driver’s License, a Birth Certificate or Passport with your identified sex. If you have a Driver’s License from a state besides Nebraska, you may use that as legal documentation along with a physician’s certification.


Social Security Number Change

To change or correct your Social Security Number, bring your Social Security Card to the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South.


Advisor Change

To change or correct the listing for your college advisor, go to your college dean's office or your college's advising center and complete a "College-Degree-Major-advisor Change Form" (CDMA) .


College Change

Obtain a "College-Degree-Major-advisor Change Form" (CDMA) from your current college dean's office, your college's advising center, or from the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South. Follow the procedures listed on the form. The dean of your new college may require you to have an appointment with an advisor at the time of admission.


Major Change

To change your major, go to your college dean's office or your college's advising center and complete a "College-Degree-Major-advisor Change Form" (CDMA).


Change of Campus

If you are attending or have attended UNK, UNMC, or UNO and are applying for admission as a degree-seeking student at UNL, you must process the online Change of Campus Request Form and an Application for Admission. The Application for Admission is also available at the Office of Admissions, 1410 Q Street, Lincoln, NE 68588-0417.


Policy on Release of Academic Information for Deceased Students

The Office of the University Registrar will evaluate each request for the release of a transcript or other academic records of a deceased student on the individual merits of that request.  The University of Nebraska-Lincoln reserves the right to deny the request in whole or to release only part of the academic records that are requested.  The decision will be based on what is deemed to be in the best interest of UNL.

Minimum requirements for any release of academic information include: confirmation of the student's death proved to the satisfaction of UNL and the Office of the University Registrar; a written request indicating what academic records are being requested, why they are being requested and from whom it is being requested (news media, family, researcher, etc.). The requester assumes the burden of proof regarding who they are and what their interest is in the academic records of the deceased student.  Requests for academic records using descriptions of 'all', ‘entire’, or other similar words or phrases will be interpreted as requests for the academic transcript.


Notice of FERPA Rights: Student Records and Privacy

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords you certain rights with respect to your education records. They are:

  1. The right to inspect and review your education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. You should submit to the University Registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) you wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise you of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of your educational records that you believe are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of your privacy right under FERPA. If you wish to ask the University to amend a record, you should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record you want changed, and specify why it should be changed. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested, the University will notify you of the decision in writing and advise you of your right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to you when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from your education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including University law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (including attorneys, auditors, or collection agents); employment of degree verfication agencies such as the National Student Clearinghouse; a member of the Board of Regents; or those serving on official committees or similar bodies charged to carry out tasks on behalf of the University of Nebraska. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University. Note that a school official located at one University of Nebraska campus may have a legitimate educational interest in the educational records and personally identifiable information maintained at another University of Nebraska campus. In addition, your records may be disclosed to your parent(s) upon request, if your parent(s) demonstrate(s) that you are your parent(s)' dependent for income tax purposes. The University may disclose education records without your consent upon the request of officials of other schools where you seek enrollment of intend to enroll.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920
Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)

Full copy of Regents Policy 5.10 "Student Information and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)".

Back to top