Registration for summer courses is on a first-come, first-serve basis with no class priority for all summer sessions. All course offerings listed on the online Schedule of Classes are contingent on approval of budget and adequate enrollment.

Summer registration through MyRED begins March 17, 2014 and continues until the Sunday prior to the start of classes for each summer session. Any initial registration or reinstatement of a cancelled registration after classes begin for a summer session will be subject to a $25.00 late registration fee. See Student Accounts, Summer 2014 Tuition and Fees for more information. (Editor's Note: Student Accounts link to Summer 2014 Tuition Fees will be available March 2014.)

Registration Eligibility

The following conditions apply to registration for all undergraduate and graduate students. You are eligible to register for summer sessions if you meet one of the following conditions:

  1. You were enrolled Fall Semester 2013 and/or Spring Semester 2014.
  2. You attended a summer session in 2013.
  3. You have been admitted or readmitted for any summer session in 2014.

Students who have academic or financial registration holds (service indicators) are ineligible for registration.

If you do not meet any of the above conditions, do the following:

Undergraduate Students: Apply for admission (application fee required) or readmission to UNL at the Office of Admissions, ALEX, 1410 Q Street. The application deadline for admission or readmission for summer sessions 2013, is May 1, 2014.

Graduate Students: Students who hold an undergraduate and/or graduate degree(s) must have a current graduate admission status to enroll for course work. Admission can be requested via the Graduate Studies website.

Getting ready to register

  1. Work out a preliminary schedule before seeing your adviser. Be sure to include any lab, quiz, and/or recitation required in addition to a lecture section. It is also a good idea to make note of alternate courses in case your first choice is closed. Note any course you plan to take on a "Pass/No Pass" (P/N) basis.
  2. See your adviser to have your program approved and to discuss your class selections. Make your appointment for advising. Graduate Studies and College of Architecture students are all required to have their adviser's approval of all class registrations. If a class is marked as requiring department consent, obtain a 4-6 digit permission code from the department before registering for the course. Permission codes are section specific, one time use numbers and are required for department permission classes. Permission codes cannot be used after late registration.
  3. Be sure the Office of the University Registrar has your correct addresses, unless we have a current mailing and email address, important information may be misdirected. See Student Information for more on checking and updating your addresses.
  4. After your initial registration, you can adjust your schedule by dropping and adding classes in MyRED. Adjustments of tuition and fee charges will be reflected on the consolidated student billings which are generated monthly.


Important, do not register for any course in which you currently have a grade of "I" (Incomplete). You should not re-register for an incomplete course during the time frame established by the instructor for the removal of an Incomplete. If you re-register for a course in which you are removing a grade of "I", you will be assessed tuition.

Arrangements to remove an Incomplete (grade of "I") should be made with the instructor who taught the course. If an instructor leaves the University prior to the date set for the completion of a course, the chair of the academic department of the course will assume the role of the instructor.

To remove a grade of "I", the instructor must submit a "Change of Student Record Form" to the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South. The instructor cannot change a grade of "I" to a grade of "W".

Note: At the undergraduate level when an "I" is given and no "I-Form" is filed, the "I" will lapse into the grade of "F" after one calendar year.

Registration Tampering

A student who tampers or attempts to tamper with the registration records of another student, including but not limited to dropping and adding classes will be subject to disciplinary action as defined in the Student Code of Conduct.

Unauthorized Signatures

The use of a person's signature without permission is a serious matter and the consequences can be severe. Possible consequences include:

  1. Being dropped from the course by the instructor, department chair, dean of the college, or the University.
  2. Loss of tuition paid for the course.
  3. University disciplinary action such as probation, suspension, expulsion, and correction of all course grades.

The above applies to all documents used by the University that may require a signature. Such documents include "Change of Student Record Form", "Schedule Adjustment Form", and "Override Authorization Form".

Credit Hour Limits

Each college specifies a maximum number of credit hours for which a student may enroll during each of the summer sessions. Credit hour enrollment cannot exceed the limit for the student’s college without written permission of the college Dean’s Office.  See tables in Maximum Credit Hour Load page for specific college information.

Prerequisite, Co-requisites and Placement Test

Prerequisite statements are used to indicate requirements that students must have completed in order to enroll in a course.

Co-requisites are a group of course sections that must be taken together during the same term.

Placement test scores are also sometimes used to determine eligibility for a course. A student is responsible for ensuring that they meet the requirements for any particular course. Ignoring course requirements can have serious financial and academic consequences. If a student does not qualify for a course in which he/she enrolls, the student may be required to drop it or potentially can be administratively dropped from the course.

Courses with Variable Credit Hours

Some courses are offered with a range of credit hours rather than a fixed number. The system will require a student to enter the number of credit hours desired for this type of course.

Undergraduate and Graduate Credit

Undergraduate students cannot register for graduate level classes using the online system. Undergraduates wanting to take graduate level courses must obtain the approval of the Graduate Studies, 1100 Seaton Hall, 1525 U Street, (402) 472-2875.

Auditing a Course

Students who wish to audit a course must first register for the class in the normal manner using MyRED. After registering for the course, complete a Permit to Audit Card at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South. The last day to sign up for an audit in a summer session corresponds to the last day to add a course for the session. Auditing allows a student the privilege of attending a class but not to take part in class activities or examinations. Course involving extensive laboratory work are generally not open to auditors.

Registration Holds/Service Indicators

Registration holds, incurred for financial, health requirements and/or academic reasons are placed on your record to prevent registration for classes. The holds must be cleared before beginning the registration process, adding a course, or appealing an academic dismissal.

Registration holds may be placed in response to debts incurred to any University department. The University agency/department placing the hold will issue a "Release Form" when the debts are paid.

Upon notification that the debt has been paid, the Office of Student Judicial Affairs, 106 Canfield Administration Building South, will release the hold. Some registration holds are administered directly by the department or agency placing them. Students with library holds can contact the library directly.

Examples of these include:

  1. Student Account and/or delinquent loan holds are placed/released by the Office of Student Accounts, 124 Canfield Administration Building North, (402) 472-2887.
  2. Academic holds are placed/released by Exploratory and Pre-Professional Advising (Explore Center), 127 Love Library South, (402) 472-3605.
  3. English proficiency holds for undergraduate non-native speakers are placed/released by the Office of Admissions, 1410 Q Street, (402) 472-2023. English proficiency holds for graduate non-native speakers are placed/released by Graduate Studies, 1100 Seaton Hall, 1525 U St., (402) 472-2875.
  4. Rubeola (measles) inoculation and TB testing (i.e., UNL health requirements) holds are placed/released by the University Health Center, 209 University Health Center, 1500 U St., (402) 472-7412.

Students With Disabilities

Students with disabilities who would like accommodations or assistance with registration should contact Services for Students with Disabilities Office (SSD), 132 Canfield Administration Building North, (402) 472-3787 (TDD: 402-472-0053).

After You Register

  1. No deposit is required to register for classes, but a student must pay tuition and fees by the deadline date on their billing to avoid registration holds and the possible cancellation of future registrations. When a student receives their billing notification, it is recommended that they access their bill online and read all of the information concerning payment policies.
  2. A student may adjust or change their schedule any time the system is available during the official registration and drop/add periods.
  3. Students are encouraged to check their schedule a day or two prior to the beginning of each summer session since class meeting times and locations are subject to change.

Change Class Section

Use MyRED to change a class section before the add deadline for a session. Ensure space availability in the new section before dropping the current section. If the summer session has already begun, a request must be processed in person at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South.

Course Withdrawals from Academic Record

The amount of tuition and fees refunded for courses dropped is determined by the date the drop is processed. For a course to not appear on a student’s permanent academic record, it must be dropped during the first week of the summer session. For specific session date information see the Academic Calendar.

Withdrawal from a Course

Summer is treated as one term for record keeping purposes. Students who withdraw (drop) from all classes after the beginning of the Pre- and Eight-week sessions will have a term withdrawal notation and the date noted on their academic record (even if no courses are recorded for the summer). Any course withdrawal after the first week of a session will result in a “W” being posted to a student’s record for all courses involved. See the Academic Calendar for deadline withdraw information for each summer session.

Back to top