Education Overpayments

Six Very Important Questions You Need to Answer

  1. Has your current enrollment changed?
  2. Have you canceled or withdrawn from UNL for a term?
  3. Are you repeating a course to remove a grade of "D" from your record?
  4. Have you received a grade that does not count toward graduation?
  5. Have you applied for academic bankruptcy for a term?
  6. Have you changed your college and/or major?

If your answer is "yes" to any of these questions, the payment of your VA educational benefits has been affected and an overpayment may have occurred.


Education Overpayments

Overpayment of educational benefits occurs when you receive an incorrect benefit payment that is more than what you are entitled to receive. The educational benefits you receive are affected by any changes you make in your current registration including full-time/part-time status, cancellation, withdrawal, college/major, and academic standing (dismissal).


Standards of Progress

Once you begin receiving educational benefits, you are required to make satisfactory progress toward graduation. The following briefly describes some of the standards of progress at UNL.


Repeated Courses

Each semester, the VA Clerk reviews your academic record for any repeated courses prior to certification. No repeated course may be certified for VA benefit payments if you previously received a satisfactory grade for the course. If you are repeating a course in which you initially received a grade of "C-", this course will not be used as part of your regular enrollment unless a grade of "C" or better is required by your approved program.

These requirements are stated in the Undergraduate Bulletin. In cases where a repeated course is discovered late, an adjustment will be made by the University and proper notification will be made to the VA regional office. This adjustment may result in an overpayment and/or reduction of benefits.



The effective date of any dropped course or withdrawal from the University is reported to the VA.


Grades of "N", "I", and "NR"

Courses with nonpunitive grades are not used to complete graduation requirements. The VA requires the University to report nonpunitive grades received by veterans using educational benefits. If you receive a nonpunitive grade in a course, that course will not be used in the calculation of UNL enrollment status for the term.

When the reporting of these grades changes your status, any overpayments will be assessed against you. The following are nonpunitive grades:

"N"    No Pass.   "P" is interpreted to mean "C" or above. Grades of "N" are reported to the VA regional office immediately following the term the grade is received.

NOTE: Veterans should give careful consideration before registering for courses on a Pass/No Pass basis.

"I"    Incomplete.   The grade of "I" designates incomplete work in a course. The VA allows one year to remove an "I" and have a grade recorded.

NOTE:  Do not reregister for a course in which you have received an "I".

"NR"    No Report.   The instructor did not report a grade for the course. The VA allows one year to remove an "NR" and have a grade recorded.


Academic Bankruptcy

If you file for academic bankruptcy for semesters that were covered by veterans benefits, you will be required to pay back all benefits received for those terms.


Academic Dismissal

The University is required by law to report to the VA regional office any veteran or eligible person that is academically dismissed. These reports are made immediately following the term that you are academically dismissed.  

To have benefits reinstated, you must follow University procedures to be removed from dismissal. Upon readmission to UNL, please notify the VA Clerk who will then report this release to the VA regional office.


Change of Program

If you receive VA educational benefits and have accumulated sixty or more credit hours (earned at UNL, transfer credit, or a combination of both), you must officially declare a college and a major.

Once a college and major have been declared, it is important that you consistently report the same college and major to the VA Clerk when processing any registration or certification paperwork. The VA allows one change of program without special approval.

If you wish to change your program, you should bring a statement from the new college of the hours that will apply to the new major and complete a "Change of Program" form (VA Form 22-1995 or 22-5495) at 107 Canfield Administration Building South.


How can you prevent overpayments?

You can prevent problems with overpayments by promptly notifying the VA Clerk of any changes affecting your educational benefits including:

  • dropping or adding a course or otherwise changing your enrollment
  • receiving a grade that does not count toward graduation (e.g., No Pass, Incomplete, No Report, and Withdrawal)
  • applying for academic bankruptcy for a term
  • changing your college and/or major

Remember, the sooner the VA is notified, the greater the possibility that an overpayment can be prevented.


Payment Schedules

For information on your payment rates and/or remaining entitlement, please contact:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 66830
St. Louis, MO 63166-6830


Tutorial Assistance

Most eligible VA students who are experiencing difficulties in courses required for their program of study may be eligible for tutorial assistance. To be eligible, you must be enrolled on at least a half-time basis and have a verifiable need for tutorial assistance.

The allowance for tutorial assistance cannot exceed $100 per calendar month with a maximum assistance of $1200. Any tutorial assistance paid in excess of $600 will be taken from your entitlement.  

For an application and further information, contact the VA Clerk, 107 Canfield Administration Building South, (402) 472-4130.


Advance Pay

Advance payment of benefits is available for all GI Bill programs except the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

An eligible person may elect to receive an advance payment for the first partial month plus the first full month of enrollment. You should be aware that if you receive advance payments, for example, for August and September at the beginning of a fall term commencing in August, you will not receive your October benefit check until early November.  

You can check with the VA Clerk at the Office of the University Registrar, 107 Canfield Administration Building South, (402) 472-4130, to complete the advance payment request.

Eligibility.   Advance payment is dependent on the following requirements:

  1. You must have an advance payment request on file at UNL
  2. You must be attending school at least half time
  3. You must have a break of at least 30 days before the start of the term
  4. The VA must receive your enrollment certification at least 30 days before classes start

If you reduce your enrollment or withdraw from all courses during the period covered by an advance payment, you will have an overpayment that the VA is required to collect from you if you cash the check. If you think the amount of a VA check is incorrect, contact VA before cashing the check.


Work Study Opportunities

The work-study program provides part-time employment to students receiving VA education benefits who attend school three-quarter time or more. The student may work at:

  • the school veterans' office
  • VA Medical Facilities
  • the VA Regional Office
  • approved State employment offices

Work-study students are paid either the State or Federal minimum wage, whichever is greater. NOTE: Active Duty Military are not eligible for this program.

To apply, complete VA Form 20-8691, Application for Work-Study Allowance. This form may be obtained by calling the Lincoln Regional Office at 1-800-827-1000 or by visiting them at 3800 Village Drive Lincoln, NE 68501-5816. For additional worksite locations, contact the RPO Work-Study Unit (WSU) at 1-888-442-4551 for worksites in the area.

For more information about the work-study program click here.

Back to top