Academic Standards

badge icon Academic Good Standing

At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, students are considered to be in academic good standing if they are currently enrolled or currently eligible to enroll in regularly scheduled classes for the next term.

Line Graph iconAcademic Standards

Undergraduate Academic Standards

Probation/Dismissal  Undergraduate Academic Standards Policy


Students are placed on Probation 1 when their term or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 and Probation 2 when their term or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 for two consecutive semesters. To remove probation status, students must complete a semester of coursework with both a semester and cumulative GPA above 2.00.
See More

Academic Dismissal

A student will be dismissed from UNL if any semester ends under the following conditions:

  • If a student has 1-18 cumulative attempted credit hours, has attended UNL, UNO or UNK for more than one semester, and his/her cumulative GPA is below 1.00.

  • If a student has 19-45 cumulative attempted credit hours, his/her prior cumulative GPA is below a 2.0, and both semester and cumulative GPA are below 1.75

  • If a student has 46 or more cumulative attempted credit hours, his/her prior cumulative GPA is below 2.0, and both semester and cumulative GPA are below 2.0

  • If the student has spent three consecutive semesters on probation.
See More

Graduate Academic Standards

Credit in graduate-level courses is attained as follows:

  1. A minimum grade of "B" is required for graduate credit in 800-level courses with 400 or lower counterparts within the student's major department or area. A grade of "B-" is not acceptable.
  2. A minimum grade of "C" or "P" (Pass) is required for graduate credit in 800-level courses in minor, collateral, or supporting areas of work. A grade of "C-" is not acceptable.
  3. A minimum grade of "C" or "P" (Pass) is required for graduate credit in 900-level courses, or 800-level courses without 400 or lower counterparts. A grade of "C-" is not acceptable.

When applied toward an advanced degree program, only courses at the 900-level, or 800-level without 400 or lower counterparts, in the major department or interdepartmental area may be taken on a "Pass/No Pass" (P/N) grading basis.

In minor, collateral, or supporting areas of work, 800-level courses with 400 or lower counterparts can be taken on a "P/N" basis.

A student failing to receive a minimum acceptable grade for graduate-level credit may not continue his/her program of studies without permission of the supervisory group or the departmental graduate committee concerned. A special examination to determine the student's qualifications for further work may be required.

File starred icon Grading Policy Statement

In accordance with the Bylaws of the Board of Regents, "Students will be informed of the requirements, standards, objectives, and evaluation procedures at the beginning of each individual course."

The Academic Senate recommends that the grading policy in a course be stated in written form whenever possible and that the statement clarify any policy governing the "Pass/No Pass" (P/N) option and allowing or removing grades of "I" (Incomplete). Failure to inform students of special restrictions in these areas could be grounds for a grading appeal.

Person icon Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend all lectures, recitations, quizzes, and laboratories regularly. The University has no regulation that permits cutting class.

  1. You are responsible for the attendance policy set by your instructor and should clear absences directly with that instructor.
  2. In cases where a student is unable to contact his or her instructors due to major illness, serious injury, or hospitalization or when given military orders which are effective immediately, a notice may be sent to the student's instructors by a family physician or the Student Affairs Office, 106 Canfield Administration Building South, (402) 472-3755. This notice is for the instructor's information only and does not relieve the student of contacting instructors as soon as possible.
  3. Students involved in military duties or University-sponsored activities, including intercollegiate athletics, may need to be excused from a class, lab, or studio meeting. In all instances it is the student's responsibility to request permission for the absence (preferably in writing) from the instructor and to discuss how the absence will affect their ability to meet the course requirements. Students should do this as soon in the semester as possible. While instructors should seek to the greatest extent possible, consistent with course requirements, to make reasonable accommodation for a student involved in University-sponsored activities or military duties, students should recognize that not every course can accommodate absences and neither the absence (nor the notification of an absence) relieves them from meeting the course requirements. Click here to find an optional student absence form.
  4. In recognition of the diversity of the student body, the University provides that a student may request an excused absence from class for participation in religious observances. In all such instances, it is the student's responsibility to request, preferably in writing, that the instructor excuse the absence and to discuss how the absence will affect the student's ability to meet the course requirements.
  5. Not attending a course does not constitute an official drop. You must process the drop or withdrawal through MyRed, or process a "Schedule Adjustment Form" or a "Cancellation/Withdrawal Form" with Husker Hub, 102 Canfield Administration Building, or the Office of the University Registrar, The drop or withdrawal will become official and tuition will be assessed based on the date of the transaction on MyRED, or the date the form is processed.

Please Note: Departments reserve the right to cancel a course reservation for a student who does not attend the first class meeting for the semester, or does not meet the prerequisites for the course. The space may be reassigned to another student applying for admission to the course. If dropped from the course by the department, you are still responsible for making sure the course is officially dropped from your registration.

Person icon Dean's List

The University of Nebraska–Lincoln colleges recognize students for academic achievement during the fall and spring semesters by placement on a college Dean’s List.

Starting Fall 2022, undergraduate students* who meet the criteria set by their college will have a notation on their transcript documenting that they were placed on the Dean's List for that term. Each college has differing criteria, which can be found in the undergraduate catalog at the links below.

If a student has questions or concerns regarding the Dean's List for their college, or would like information concerning a Dean’s List prior to Fall 2022, they should follow up with their college's Dean's Office.

*This policy excludes Graduate students with the exception of College of Business Graduate students who are in a Master's level program and enrolled full-time.

book icon Graduate Credit for Undergraduate Seniors

In addition to the courses necessary to complete the baccalaureate degree, an undergraduate senior may take graduate level courses.

The following conditions apply:

  1. Prior approval from the Dean of Graduate Studies, 1100 Seaton Hall, 1525 U St., is needed to enroll in 800 and 900-level courses.
  2. A maximum of 12 credit hours at the graduate level may be earned.
  3. The 12 hours of graduate credit must be earned within one calendar year prior to the receipt of the baccalaureate degree.
  4. Seniors in the University Honors Program are encouraged to consider taking 400/800-level courses at the 800-level with the concurrence of their advisor, permission of the instructor, and Dean of Graduate Studies.

money bag icon Payment of Financial Obligations

Failure by a student to pay a financial obligation to the University or any department, division, or agency thereof, will result in denial of readmission, denial of transcripts, denial of registration for ensuing terms, withholding of diplomas, and may result in an administrative cancellation of enrollment until the debt is paid in full. NOTE: See "Registration Hold/Service Indicators" under "Eligibility to Enroll" for the corresponding semester.

Past due accounts will be subject for assignment to a professional collection agency and collection costs may be added to the delinquent account.

In the event that your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, we may re-present your check electronically. In the ordinary course of business, your check will not be provided to you with your bank statement.

Back to top