See official policy

arrow return icon Undergraduate Course Repeat Policy

The Undergraduate Course Repeat policy applies only to undergraduate students.

The "C-", "D+", "D", "D-", or "F" to be removed from computation of your cumulative undergraduate grade point average (GPA) must have been received since September 1965, when the letter grade system became effective.

After removal of grade factors for a repeated course, the first grade will not be used in the computation of cumulative grade point average, but it will remain a part of the permanent record and will appear on any transcript.

Only the most recent grade received in a given course will be used in computing an undergraduate student's cumulative grade point average if the undergraduate student completed the course twice and previously received a grade below "C" in that course.

If the student has taken the course more than twice, and has a grade of "C" or above, only earlier grades of below "C" will be removed from the computation of cumulative grade point average.

NOTE: The "Pass/No Pass" (P/N) grading option CANNOT be used when you are repeating a course to remove a grade below "C" from the undergraduate grade point average.


cog settings icon Automatic Process for Repeated Courses

The Office of the University Registrar will automatically remove grade factors for courses that are repeated during the current semester.

Courses graded "A+" to "F" for the current semester are checked against all courses taken since the installation of the computerized records system (September, 1986) and the grade factors are subtracted for the repeated courses which were originally graded "C-", "D+", "D", "D-" or "F".

The automatic process will not take effect for the following exceptions:

1. Independent Study courses, special topic courses, and variable credit hour courses, will not be processed automatically. These courses will be identified to check the "C-", "D+", "D", "D-", and "F" status manually. Any of these courses that qualify for the repeated course removal will be processed manually by the Office of the University Registrar.

2. Students must complete an "Undergraduate Course Repeat Re-Computation Request", or contact the Office of the University Registrar at, for the following situations:

  • Repeated courses which were first taken prior to the Fall Semester, 1986.
  • UNK, UNMC, or UNO course equivalents.
  • Late grades or grade changes done after the grade census date (approximately two weeks after the grades were initially available).
  • Cross-listed courses (i.e., Economics 365 / Finance 365).

Requests for course repeat(s) processing for these exception-type situations must be submitted to the Office of the University Registrar,, within the revision period following the issuance of grades prior to the final posting of grades (grade census date).

Course repeat(s) that are processed during this revision period will be reflected in the official (census date) semester grade point average. Students not meeting this deadline will be notified of the change approximately two weeks after the request is received. Late changes will not be reflected in the official (census date) semester grade point average, but will be included in future computation of the cumulative GPA.

The following points are also important in the consideration of the course repeat(s):

  1. You can remove a course grade of "C-", "D+", "D", "D-", or "F" from your cumulative grade point average if you repeat the approved equivalent course at the University of Nebraska (UNK, UNL, UNMC, or UNO) and receive a grade other than "I" (Incomplete), "W" (Withdrew), "P" (Pass), or "N" (No Pass). To determine which UNK or UNO courses have been identified by UNL academic departments as "equivalents," click here.
  2. If you repeat the course on the UNK, UNMC, or UNO campus, it will be necessary for you to request that campus to issue an official transcript to UNL Admissions, 1410 Q Street, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0417, before re-computation can be accomplished.
  3. Credit hours for repeated courses cannot be used more than once toward a degree.
  4. The "C-", "D+", "D", "D-", or "F" can be removed only by repeating the same course and for the same or for a greater number of credit hours. No course substitutions are allowed. If the course is no longer offered, you cannot apply the "Undergraduate Course Repeat" option.
  5. The course repeat policy applies to undergraduate students only, and does not apply to courses taken subsequent to graduating from UNL.
  6. A change in the course by the department through the curriculum process may remove an automatic repeat from the old course to the new.
  7. Repeating the same course more than once may impact your financial aid eligibility. It is recommended that you contact the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to discuss your eligibility for financial aid if you are repeating a course that you have previously completed with a grade of "D" or higher.

Back to top