Academic Dismissal Information for Students

Students who have been dismissed from UNL will be denied enrollment privileges for at least two consecutive semesters (the four summer sessions count as one semester). Any courses for which you were registered will be canceled. Please review additional information on the Office of the University Registrar’s website at International students should contact the International Student and Scholar Office in Louis Pound Hall, Suite 130, immediately as visa status will be impacted.

alarm clock iconTime away from UNL

Students dismissed from one 4-year institution of higher education are not usually immediately admissible to another 4-year institution (every institution has its own policy). You may, however, be accepted at a 2-year institution of higher education (community college). If you plan to take courses at a community college, please consider the following information and suggestions:

  • Work with your UNL advisor to determine the courses you might want to complete. Consider courses that would transfer to UNL toward your intended degree if your goal is to return to the University.
  • Grades earned at community colleges will not replace grades of C- or below that were earned at UNL nor will any community college grades apply toward your UNL GPA. (Note: the UNL grade replacement policy only applies to credits completed at UNL, UNO, or UNK).

Re-enter iconReadmission

Readmission is not automatic. Factors that will be considered in deciding your readmission are:

  • Proven academic performance since dismissal (e.g., courses or academic credits earned at other post-secondary institutions). This is typically the most important piece of an application.
  • For students who have been away for an extended period of time, work experience that has contributed to your development.
  • Other appropriate experiences that have helped prepare you to resume studies and achieve academic success.
  • A review of student records including those related to advising, student support services, and Faculty Senate Academic Standing Committee recommendations (if applicable).

Readmission Timelines:

You may apply for readmission to UNL for the semester or term following the mandatory suspension period.

If you were dismissed after:You may apply to be readmitted for:Deadline to apply for readmission:
Fall Next Fall May 1
Spring Next Spring December 1
Summer Next Summer May 1

papers iconReadmission Process:

All students interested in applying for readmission after dismissal will need to complete the readmit application and a readmit questionnaire. Obtain instructions and materials for applying for readmission through the Office of Admissions at admissions.unl.eduStudent Accounts, Dean of Students, and Admissions holds must be removed prior to readmission.

Additional Information:

Students accepted for readmission after leaving the university on an academic dismissal standing are readmitted on probation level 1 and are required to meet with an academic advisor before enrolling in future terms.

Additionally, all HOLDS in MyRed must be resolved before a student can enroll. Readmission does not guarantee financial aid eligibility. Please contact the Husker Hub, 102 Canfield Administration Building, (402) 472-2030, to discuss your eligibility for financial aid.

handing file iconExtraordinary Circumstances

If you believe your academic dismissal occurred under extraordinary circumstances, you may file an appeal for academic reinstatement. For more information about filing an appeal for academic reinstatement, please contact your academic advisor.

Additional information can be found at Appeal for Academic Reinstatement Information for Students.