MyRED – Final Grade Rosters: Assigning an “F”
Updated November, 24, 2015
There have been some changes made to the Final Grade Rosters in MyRED when assigning the grade of “F”. You will be required to submit an attendance status for each student receiving an “F”. UNL does not require instructors to take attendance; however, the U.S. Department of Education requires that we document that financial aid recipients began attendance. Students who receive a failing grade because they stopped attending are considered unofficial withdrawals for financial aid purposes and UNL may be required to reduce their financial aid awards accordingly.
When assigning the grade of "F" to a student on a Final Grade Roster, you will now be required to also enter their Attendance Status.
The options for Attendance Status are:
- Attended - for those students whom have regularly attended class, but have earned a grade of "F."
- Never Attended - for those students whom have never attended class and therefore earned a grade of "F" by not attending.
- Stopped Attending - for those students whom had attended class at one point, but have stopped attending the class, and therefore are receiving a grade of "F". You will need to indicate a Last Date of Attendance (see attendance definitions below). If you don't know the date of last academic activity, please mark as never attended.
For these purposes, attendance is otherwise known as “academic attendance” or “attendance at an academic-related activity” and is defined in the law to include, but not be limited to the following:
- Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students,
- Submitting an academic assignment,
- Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction,
- Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution,
- Participating in an online discussion about academic matters, and
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.