A+ = 4.00
A    = 4.00
A-  = 3.67
B+ = 3.33
B    = 3.00
B-  = 2.67
C+ = 2.33
C   = 2.00
C- = 1.67
D+ = 1.33
D   = 1.00
D- = 0.67

Grading Symbols which carry no GPA weight:

I-incomplete   P-pass   N-no pass   NR-no report   W-withdrew

Please Note: GPA's are truncated to the thousandths decimal place.

calculator iconGPA Calculator

1Enter Your Semester Grades 
2Enter Your Cumulative GPA 
3Enter Your Desired GPA   
Your Semester Grades
This value is only used if the Your Cumulative GPA field has been entered
This value is only used if the Your Cumulative GPA field has been entered
Your Cumulative GPA
Credit Hrs.
Your Desired GPA

Use this calculator to computer semester and cumulative grade point averages. Grades of "P", "N", "I", "W", and "NR" are not used in computing grade point averages.

1. Semester GPA: Enter your estimated letter grades and credit hours.
2. Cumulative GPA: Enter your overall credit hours and GPA.
3. Desired GPA: Enter your desired GPA to see how many hours of 4.0 work it would take to achieve your desired GPA.

This calculator is for estimated grades only. Official GPA reports will be published on MyRED. GPA's are truncated to the thousandths decimal place.

half of a timer iconIncomplete

A course will be given the grade Incomplete or "I" when a student is unable to complete a course due to illness, military service, hardship, or death in the immediate family. Incompletes will be only given if the student has already substantially completed the major requirements of the course.

Undergraduate - Removing an Incomplete Grade:

The instructor may complete an I-Form giving the following information when assigning an "I" grade:

  1. Conditions to be met in order to complete the course.
  2. Date course is to be completed which shall be no more than two years hence.
  3. Grade on work completed and percent of course work it represents.
  4. Grade to be assigned if "I" is not removed by date specified by the instructor.

Academic departments are responsible for following up on the time completion deadline identified on the I-Form and for initiating the Change of Student Record Form to remove the "I" grade. However, if a grade change form is not received by Office of the University Registrar by the date indicated, the Office of the University Registrar will assign the grade indicated specified by the instructor.

In instances where an I-Form is not received, the I grade will be considered expired one year after the end of the term and a failing grade will be posted to the student’s record for the course.

Graduate - Removing an Incomplete Grade:

The conditions as stated in the Graduate Bulletin shall apply.

  1. If an instructor leaves the University prior to the date on an I-Form for completion of a course, then the I- Form shall be used by the student and the academic department to allow the student to complete the course.
  2. The "I" is assigned at the discretion of the instructor in consultation with the student and following the Academic Senate guidelines.
  3. The "I" grade cannot be changed to a "W" grade.

plus minus iconPass/No Pass

The Pass/No Pass option is designed to be used by a graduate or undergraduate student seeking to expand his or her intellectual horizons by taking courses in areas in which the student has minimum preparation without adversely affecting the student's grade point average.

How does it work?

  1. Neither "P" nor "N" grades contribute to a student's GPA.
  2. "P" is interpreted to mean "C" or above.
  3. A change to or from a Pass/No Pass registration may be made until midterm of the course.
  4. The Pass/No Pass or grade registration cannot conflict with the policy of the professor, department, college, or University governing grading options.
  5. Changing to or from Pass/No Pass requires processing the change in MyRED and does not require the instructor's approval.
  6. After midterm of the course, a student registered for Pass/No Pass cannot change to a grade registration unless the Pass/No Pass registration is in conflict with the policy of the professor, college, or University governing Pass/No Pass.
  7. The Pass/No Pass grading option is not available to students on academic probation unless the course is offered only on a Pass/No Pass basis.
  8. For undergraduates, the 24 credit hour limit and college and department limits shall apply. These limits do not include courses offered only on a Pass/No Pass basis.
  9. The Pass/No Pass grading option CANNOT be used in a repeated course to remove a "C-", "D+", "D", "D-", or "F" grade from the grade point average.